So this weekend I've decided to make healthier bars to have in the house for a guilt free treat.
I tend to pick up lots of bits and pieces in my shopping and have them stored in the press.
I keep 2 baskets in the press for Nuts/Seeds/dried fruit etc.
It's handy when i want to pop some seeds on cereals or add to baking etc - they are to hand easily.
I like organisation !
You may think there are alot of seeds and nuts in this and that you may never have all of these in the cupboard. But i literally had all this stuff stored in those baskets!
You can omit or add anything you fancy to these bars.
These ingredients are just what seemed worked for me today.
One of my favourite kitchen applicances is my little blitzer!
John picked it up for me at a market almost new! I whizz up my pestos and dressings in it and here it's great for blitzing up the nuts. It's a great little thing!
These bars are sweet and moist - delicious and perfect for the weekend.
So, here we go:
- In a large mixing bowl combine:
- 1 cup porridge oats)
- handful of dried cranberries
- handful chopped walnuts
- handful chopped almonds
- handful chopped plain cashew nuts
- handful sultanans
- handful Cacao powder
(Cacao is a healthy ingredient to add in to make it chocolaty!)
- 2x handfuls medium desicated coconut
- 1tsp chopped pistasios
- 1tbsp chia seeds
- 1tbsp flaxseed
- few shakes of cinnamon
- 15 or 16 Dates (soften in a bowl of boiling water first for few minutes - then blitz them)
- Melt gently together:
-1tbsp golden syrup
-1tsp coconut oil
- Pour into oat mix and combine thoroughly for a minute.
Topple into greased and base lined dish (i used a glass oven dish)
- Remove from oven and leave to cool in dish. It will harden as it cools so don't be worried that it is still soft.
While warm, drizzle about 2tbsp golden syrup over the top.
- Melt your favourite chocolate (i would probably use dark salted chocolate if it was just for me!), just enough to coat in a thin layer on top - today i've used milk chocolate.
Leave to set and firm in fridge.
Cut into squares and serve!
(If there happens to be any leftover, keep stored in airtight container in the fridge, with greaseproof paper to seperate them.