Thursday 9 October 2014

COOKING APPLES – STEWED & HEALTHY ENERGY BARS:

I have posted quite a bit on apples.  I had some cooking apples lately, some given to me and some I bought.  They are great.  
I use them:
·        to add to bun mixtures (by stewing them in orange juice first)
·        to make apple sauce for Pork (not just for side sauce but rub some on top of your pork before roasting for a wonderful flavour)
·        for pies/tarts (add some juicy blackberries/pears also)
·        to make stewed apple with cinnamon (yummy warm in a bowl, with a dollop of warm custard)
·        to stew them to sweeten healthy home baked treats
·        to make yummy chutney
·        for making jam (blackberry & apple is fab)
The list really is endless.  Most things made fresh can be popped in the freezer so you can make a lot of things in advance. 

Yesterday I posted a yummy tasty APPLE PIE.  Previously I posted recipe for APPLE BUNS. 
Today……….It’s STEWED CINNAMON APPLE & HEALTHY ENERGY BARS


















STEWED CINNAMON APPLE really is not a recipe as there’s really nothing to it. 
  • Peel, de core and chop up your cooking apples
  • Place in a saucepan with couple tablespoons of water
  • Add couple of shakes of ground cinnamon spice
  • Heat over med heat until apples are stewed.  You may need to turn heat down a bit and stir every so often.
THAT’S IT!!
As I mentioned, this is a yummy treat, warm with some warm custard poured over it. 

HEALTHY ENERGY BARS:
I add some of my stewed apple to these for sweetness.
I made these today.  I would eat one during the mornings.  They contain plenty of nutrition and they are a slow release energy treat.  Best of all they are packed with protein rich goodness.

Here’s how I made them:
(All these ingredients and quantities are what I use to suit us – you can omit or add anything you fancy yourself)
1.      Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.  In a large mixing bowl, combine:
  • 210g oats
  • 75g whole almonds
  • 60g plain cashews
  • 40g hemp seeds
  • 40g halved walnuts
  • 25g sunflower seeds
  • handful of dried cranberries 
2.      Add 200g honey; 90g stewed apple & 25g melted butter and mix/combine well.

3.      Spread mix out evenly in the baking tray, using your hands to flatten down and getting into all corners. 
4.   To finish with, i drizzle honey over the top again.
5.      Place in freezer for about 1 hour.  Then cut into squares.   


Cooking apples are so versatile.  You may be blessed to be able to pick them from a tree in your garden or know of someone who has one.  Otherwise they are easily picked up from supermarkets. 

No comments:

Post a Comment