Wednesday 16 July 2014

Mexican night!

Mexican night!

So, theme nights are a great way for you to get adventurous and experimental with cooking and flavours.
I did a Mexican night for two…..well….my version! 
I made my fajita mix with turkey and served it with homemade wedges and guacamole. 


There are a couple of stages and a bit of prep to this, but I had time so I enjoyed exploring with my spices and herbs!
Sides are great!  There are so many varieties available from chips to sauces to salads to veggies!  I do a bit of research on google or in cook books to get ideas.

So here’s what I did:

My wedges and fajitas took about the same amount of time to prep and cook…… about 35 minutes.  I prepped my wedges first.  Then prep your veg for fajitas.  Just as you start cooking fajitas, pop your wedges in the oven.

For the fajitas:
  • In a pot/skillet, over medium heat, soften strips of carrots & peppers in a little olive oil
  • After about 5 minutes, add strips of red onion & chopped garlic
  • To this I added turkey strips and turn heat up
  • Season with salt, pepper, Cajun spice & cumin seeds
  • Once turkey has coloured all over, add 2x tsp pesto rosso (this I bought in Aldi….it’s a gorgeous pesto made with tomatoes, Pecorino cheese, cashew nuts, basil and Grana Padano cheese – a great jar to have in the fridge!)
  • Stir through and add a can of chopped tomatoes
  • Season again with salt & pepper
  • Simmer for 10 minutes
  • Line up your tortilla wraps (depending on how hungry you are!)
  • Off the heat, spoon your hot mix into the centre of the wraps, leaving a bit to spoon over closed wrap
  • Grate some cheese over each mix and fold your wraps per photo below
  • Place wraps face down on greased oven proof dish, spoon over the remaining mix, followed by a grating of cheese, wedges of tomatoes and sprinkle of pepper
  • Bake for about 15 minutes in 190 degree oven.

For wedges:
  • Cut potatoes into wedges & place in oven proof dish
          (Pick potatoes that are big enough when cut to be a good decent size wedge!)
  • Add drizzling of olive oil, salt, pepper, Cajun spice, cumin seeds & chilli flakes
  • Mix the wedges up making sure all are coated with seasoning
  • Bake in 190 degree oven for approx 30 minutes, checking them frequently and giving them a shake up.


For MY guacamole:
  • Dice 2x avocado into a bowl
  • Add 1 tblsp crème fraiche, juice of ½ lime, sprinkle of salt & pepper and some chopped fresh coriander. Combine (make sure to taste test this for flavours) 

Serve your dishes in nice varied colourful bowls for that Mexican feel!
I also mixed up some tomato sauce and mayonnaise in a bowl for a taco dip for the wedges.  
A nice cold bottle of beer with a slice of lime will go down a treat with this too!
Hope you like…..we certainly did! 
¡buen provecho




No comments:

Post a Comment