Tuesday 19 August 2014

CHEESE-CRUSTED SCONES
(And I mean it….they really are EASY PEASY)

These are great for afternoon tea/coffee. 
I came across a recipe for cheese potato scones.  I tweaked the ingredients a little to suit.  I wanted to make them straight away for a quick afternoon snack with a cuppa and did not have the patience to boil and mash the potatoes so I just omitted them.  As I did not have the wet from the mash and milk, I just added milk and it is a really really easy dough. 
This is the perfect brown scone mix recipe too if you want to just leave the cheese and pepper out of it.  This is the recipe I use for simple brown scones….every time.
Here’s how I made them:


1.      Preheat oven to 220°. 
2.      Sift 200g/7oz self-raising flour, 25g/1oz wholemeal flour, ½ tsp salt and 1 ½ tsp baking powder in a large mixing bowl.
3.      Rub in 25g/1oz cubed butter until resembles breadcrumbs.
4.      Add a shake of black pepper, parmesan cheese and grated cheese (I like mozzarella)
5.      Add in enough milk to bring the dough together.  Turn out on a floured board and kneed just for a few seconds until smooth. Roll out to a round and transfer to a greased oven tray.
6.      Mark the scone into 6 wedges, cutting half way down through.  Brush with milk, sprinkle with grated cheese and thyme and a very very light dust of Cajun spice.
7.      Bake in the middle of oven for 15 minutes until well risen and golden brown.

8.      Transfer to cool on rack.  Then serve with some yummy butter and a nice hot cuppa. 

No comments:

Post a Comment