Saturday 2 August 2014

Homemade pork burgers

Sometimes it’s nice to have a change from meat and potatoes. 
I started trying to make my own burgers by just looking up recipes online and from cookbooks.  I started with beef mince.  It’s a nice burger but I turned to pork mince, tried it out and found it was better to cook with, that bit healthier and lighter. 
I have to say, this is without doubt the number 1 treat dinner in our house!

I am not a huge fan of burgers but every now and again I will join the boys and have one.  Once you’ve made your own, you will never attempt to buy frozen burgers again! 

I have been making homemade burgers a while now.  I have tweaked them, added things in, taken things out and this is where I’m at at the moment.  
(The burger is under there somewhere....i promise :-) )
This is what works for us:




Makes 3 large burgers/4 average burgers
1.      In a bowl, combine:
  • Pork mince (the fat content in the mince helps the taste in the burger)
  • 1 egg
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 2 tblsp tomato sauce
  • a squeeze of fresh lemon
  • 2 tblsp flour
  • A dash of red aromat spice
  • Red onion, chopped (optional, if the kids don’t like it, just add it to the adult burgers)
2.      Combine first with a fork, then wet your hands slightly and combine the mix through your hands.
3.      With slightly wet hands again (helps prevent mix from sticking to your hands), shape your burgers.
4.      Cover burgers with cling film and chill in fridge for half an hour to firm them.
5.      Heat a grill pan on high heat with a little oil
6.      Cook your burgers on one side for about 2 minutes, until they are coloured.  Then flip them to colour on the other side.
7.      Place them in a 180° pre heated oven (to avoid burning) to finish off the cooking.   This takes about 20 minutes, until burgers are cooked through.   Flip them half way through.  I usually just cut through one of them to check they’re cooked. 


*I like to serve the burgers with a slice or 2 of melted cheese on top.  I just use cheddar as this is always in the fridge. 
*The boys also love a nice big sesame bun, heated, slightly toasted in the oven.
*Homemade wedges/chips go perfectly with this also. (see how I make them on my blog)
*You can have any sauce for your burger you fancy.  My favourite is Marie Rose sauce which is simply a beautiful pinky combination of mayonnaise and tomato ketchup.
*Fried onions are great also on the burgers. I lightly fry them in oil so that they’re slightly cooked but still have a crunch to them, for when you bite down into your bread bun and burger.


This is on our Menu tonight……a yummy weekend treat.  

No comments:

Post a Comment