Saturday 2 August 2014

HUMMUS.

 I usually always keep a tin of chickpeas as one of my cupboard stores.  They are a great ingredient for quick and easy yumminess!
I struggled to find a snack for lunch one day.  I looked in the fridge and spotted some leftover chickpeas in a bowl from a salad the day before.  Hummus…..
It’s one of those things that you can make up a batch of.  It’s delicious for a dip or spread on a pita or a wrap with some chicken.
Once you make it once, you’ll be amazed how easy it is.  You can also vary your hummus.  I recently posted a guide to varying hummus, check it out. 

(Tahini is a paste made from ground sesame seeds.  It can be left out but it really is not the same I find.  You can find Tahini in an Asian shop or try good health food shops.)

Here’s how to make it:
·        Combine ¼ cup/59 ml tahini and the juice from 1 large lemon.
·        Mix these in your food processor for about 1 ½ minutes, making sure to scrape the sides and bottom during this.
·        Add 2tblsp olive oil, ½ large garlic clove (minced), ½ tsp ground cumin and ½ tsp salt (more if needed) and process for 30 seconds, doing the same as before, scrapping sides and bottom and mixing again for a further 30 seconds.
·        Using a can (423g) chickpeas, drain them and rinse well.  Add half of them to the food processor and mix for 1 minute.  Again, scraping sides and bottom.  Mix for a further 1-2 minutes, until thick and smooth.
·        If the hummus is too thick or still has bits of chickpea, turn the food processor on low and slowly add 2-3 tblsp water until the consistency is perfect.
·        Pour the hummus into a bowl, drizzle about 1 tblsp of olive oil over the top and a sprinkle of paprika.
·        Your hummus will now keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week. 
This is how I like my hummus…..smooth and creamy.

Also great with this hummus are my light Wrap crisps as a snack.
Perfect as an accompaniment snack for parties or just sitting back, chilling out, with a glass of wine.  A lighter choice for a snack!
Here’s how I make them:
·        For one serving, cut up a tortilla wrap (of your choice-I use plain) into triangles (or near enough!)
·        Scatter in an oven tray and drizzle with sunflower oil.
·        Sprinkle salt over, or whatever flavour you like.
·        Toss them up and pop in oven until crisp.  (about 10 minutes)


Add hummus to a wrap sandwich:
·        Slather hummus on a wrap/pitta
·        Fill with whatever salad green you fancy (my choice: rocket)
·        Add meat of your choice (my choice: sliced chicken goujons)
·        And enjoy!

Check out the recent post on my blog on hummus variations. 

And let me know your tips and recipes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment