Friday 8 August 2014

CHILLI BULGAR WHEAT & PRAWN

 Time for lunch.  It’s just me in the house for lunch so I check out what I got!  I spotted the prawns in the freezer and remember a fab lunch I had out with Siobhan, my sister……….Bulgur wheat and prawn salad.  I just happen to have some bulgur wheat in the press.  Fancy that J




Bulgur wheat is a great source of fibre which helps maintain a healthy digestive system.  With only a trace of sugar and fats in it, it’s a great healthy choice for lunch. 

Bulgur wheat is not difficult to cook but I find I have to cook it with the perfect water to bulgur wheat ratio or I can never get it right.  So I recommend you cook it as per pack.  My pack said to boil 5.5 cups of water to every 1 cup of bulgur wheat. 

1.      Start by boiling you water and adding your bulgur wheat.
2.      To this I add a sprinkling of chilli flakes; chopped red pepper; salt & pepper; and a good squeeze of fresh lime (I use a whole lime!)
3.      With about 5 minutes to go, I add my prawns.  I use frozen prawns that I get in Aldi.  They’re great and I always have a pack in the freezer.  There are 2 types…one you need to cook and the other is the pack that is ready to just add.  This is what I use.  I take them from the freezer before time to defrost them a little and then add them straight to pot.
4.      Stir occasionally and taste test to see if you need any other seasoning.
5.      Once the bulgur wheat has absorbed all the water, take of the heat and leave for a minute or two.  Then with a fork, fork through the mix.
6.      Add some chopped fresh coriander and ENJOY!


No comments:

Post a Comment