Monday 11 August 2014

SIMPLE ROAST CHICKEN & STUFFING


So, I know I know, roast chicken is fairly easy to prepare and cook.  But maybe not for everybody!
It was always my favourite dinner growing up and whenever we were brought out for dinner I only ever wanted to eat chicken! 
Chicken is a favourite now in our house too.  Whenever I make roast chicken, I have to make the whole works!  All the trimmings.  It’s definitely scrummy comfort dinner with roast potatoes, buttery veg, juicy stuffing and thick flavoursome gravy. 

This recipe is the basic simple version for Sunday roast any day of the week.  There are so many different herbs, spices and flavours people like to add to their roast chicken.  This is how I do mine.

(apologise for the picture.....i kind of dissected the top of the chicken checking its status!- but don't let that fool you.  It tasted devine!)




I usually pick up a medium chicken, which does us…..everything bar the bones are left after us!!
I absolutely love the skin really cracking and crispy……I seem to be the only one here that does, more for me!  But when it’s really seasoned and basted during cooking it’s delicious.  Not for my waste though!
For this everyday chicken I just make a simple stuffing.  I save my sausage meat stuffing for special occasions like Christmas. 

For the chicken:
1.      I purchase chicken already cleaned out etc so I just rinse it and pat dry with kitchen paper.
2.      Preheat oven 180°C.
3.      Rub olive oil all over the chicken and season with coarse salt, cracked pepper, rosemary, thyme and Knorr aromat meat seasoning.
4.      Slit the chicken by the wings and place garlic cloves.
5.      In the cavity I place garlic cloves again and the stuffing (see below).
6.      Wash, peel and half your potatoes.  Pour a little olive oil over them in a bowl and toss to completely coat.
7.      Place the potato halves around the chicken in the oven dish.
8.      Roast in the oven at 200°C for the first 20 minutes then reduce to 180°C for approx 50 minutes.  Make sure to baste the chicken from time to time with its own juices to prevent it from drying out or burn and to give it all those juicy flavours.  Also make sure to turn and coat your potatoes regularly too.
9.      Check your chicken is cooked by inserting a heat stick/thermometer is the centre.  Another way of checking is if the juices run clear when a slit is made in the skin corner of the leg.
10.  Remove the potatoes to a heated bowl in the oven until ready to serve and remove the chicken to tin foil and wrap securely to allow to sit.
11.  Use the juices from this to make your gravy.

For the gravy:
1.      With a spoon, stir and whisk all the juices and flavours from the chicken dish to make sure you get       everything.  Then pour with the juices from your vegetables into a saucepan and add boiling water if need depending on how much you need.  
2.      Bring to a boil.  Turn heat down a notch.  Whisk in either a Knorr beef stock pot or Knorr gravy granules slowly to make sure they are combined.  We like a thick gravy so I add some gravy, whisk it in and leave it simmer.  It thickens as it simmers so wait to see if you need more granules or not.

For the stuffing:
1.      I use whatever breadcrumbs I have in the freezer.   Today I had brown bread breadcrumbs.  Finely chop red onion and mix with breadcrumbs.
2.      To this season with salt and pepper.
3.      Melt enough butter to combine the bread crumbs.  Mould in your hands and place in cavity of chicken.  Seal with tooth picks.


Dish up and enjoy J

No comments:

Post a Comment